Wednesday 28 April 2010

Week 21 Performance Management

Describe an appraisal you have had at work. Was it effective? What were the outputs of the meeting?



Mullins (2007) stated that an appraisal is a method of providing feedback to staff from different groups such as colleagues, managers and maybe external customers. The reason why companies use a 360 degree appraisal is because it provide a more complete picture of an individual performance.

During the employment with John Lewis Plc, I received 360 degree style appraisal after 1 month of my employment. In the interview my supervisor and I discussed setting sales targets and training programmes that I received, for example, till training, product training and customer service training. Also I gave my opinions on the training programmes. Another point that we discussed is how I could improve my skills and knowledge for upcoming events. My appraisal was very effective because it outlined the areas where I could improve and my supervisor would have a better knowledge of me. 2 months afterward I received another appraisal interview this was due to that I am a new employee to the organisation. This time we discussed my sales targets which I achieved and my performance during that period of time. Also the manager outlining the areas that I have improves on, for example, product knowledge. The meeting was usually held at the back office where the stock room was or on the third floor behind the HR office.


• Read the article from The Times on mentoring. What skills do you think are required to be an effective mentor?

According to The Times (2008) the skills that is needed is to have wise knowledge of different sectors. Also mentors need to be patient because different apprentices may take longer or shorter time to pick up the ideas.
It was stated in The Times (2008) that mentors may need to use more than one example so it may make it easier for the apprentice to relate to or understand. So the advice can be effective when being used.
One of the most important skills of being a mentor is to identify and set targets because by achieving targets could improve their ability, for example, to solve problems, interact better with other people and to cope with challenges,
Another essential skill is communication as it stated in The Times (2008) that provides a better understanding for both parties and improves their relationship. This leads to improving the apprentice contacts. One of the most important points of having a mentor is to provide directions to look at the challenges and different way to solve them.
Mullins (2007) stated that mentors should be supportive throughout the activities and the Times (2008) stated in the articles good mentors should have some grey hairs.


• Identify someone from your college/uni, school, work, social life who has been a mentor to you. How have they affected your life?

Joanna Tang
Joanna has influenced me by giving advice and examples that I can relate too. Also she gave up her time to go over my course work throughout my education, for example, spelling and grammar checks.
Also she keeps me motivated by threats, for example, telling my parents that I am not doing my work and this will lead to my parent cutting my allowance.
Another area that I admire her for is that she can balance work and family because she has three children to look after and they are all under the age of 10. Also she works for HSBC as an Assistant Manager of a branch. In her spare time she does voluntary work at the Berkhamsted Hospice.
As a mentor she has taught me a number of skills and improved my knowledge. For example, she taught me when to buy and sell at the right time on the FTS 100. This has led to one of my success.

Conclusion
In this conclusion it is important to have mentors to learn from as they provide different an angle to solve the challenges. Also it indicates the importance of mentors as they can provides influence to the apprentices and motivates them.
All mentors should have wide range of experiences and skills.


Reference and bibliography

Joanna Tang, Mentor

Louise Gordon Section manager of haberdashery and travel of John Lewis (2006)


Mullins, L (2007) Management and organisational behaviour. 8th ed. Harlow: FT Prentice Hall.


The Times (2008) Entrepreneurs: a mentor can tune your skills. [online] Available at: http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/entrepreneur/article3778514.ece [Accessed 22 March 2010]

No comments:

Post a Comment